Sunday, April 27, 2008

WE Speak Updates

I had a little bit of time for some tinkering with WE Speak this morning. I've added a new "Stream Local Videos" section in the left sidebar. You can stream the latest CBC News @ Six Windsor broadcast or the latest CBC News Now clip. Hopefully sometime in the near future I'll be able to add a livestream for Windsor City Council meetings. More on that Monday.

In the "Stream Local Radio" I finally managed to get CJAM working.

I've also finally managed to resolve an encoding issue with the template. It is now UTF-8, which basically means you won't see all those funny characters displayed when you use apostrophes or quote marks in your post or title.

The "Featured Video" seems to be working well along with the Video Section. If you have a video account like Google or YouTube that you'd like added to the site, drop me a line. If your videos are already listed on the site, contact me and I'll set you up with a site login so you can add videos on your own. Once you're logged in, the process of adding videos is quite simple. All that is required is to paste in the link to the video you wish to add, check the details and hit save.

I'd like to thank everyone who visits WE Speak every day and those who offer suggestions and ideas. I use WE Speak to test out ideas and once they're working I roll them out on the other Speak sites, London Speak and Guelph Speak. If the stars are aligned right this summer I'll also be rolling out Speak sites in Mississauga, Kingston and Ottawa.

As a friend of mine said online the other day, "I'm not a coder or programmer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night".