Thursday, March 13, 2008

Time flies when you're having fun

I was sitting around the office last night swapping stories with an old Navy winger when I realized the date. Twenty-five years ago, on Sunday March 13th, a young 17 year old from Guelph arrived at CFB Cornwallis for 10 weeks of pure unmitigated hell, otherwise known as Basic Training.

I had kissed my family good-bye at the train station in Guelph on Saturday morning. A train to Trenton, overnight there, a flight to Greenwood Nova Scotia the next morning and that last fateful bus ride to Cornwallis. Lord knows I had no idea what I was in for. I remember leaving home wearing a spring jacket and waking up Monday morning in Cornwallis to about 2 feet of snow.

As much as I hated virtually every minute I ever spent in Cornwallis, there is no doubt in my mind that the time I spent there helped define who and what I am today. Although I didn't end up spending my entire career in the Navy, I relish every day I was in. The people and the experiences were second to none.

Ready Aye Ready.

Cross posted to Blue Blogging Soapbox